Another of my winter spring cleaning jobs is to try and fix all the broken links to photos in this blog and what a royal pain in the pupa it is.
When I first started the blog all my photos were housed on pBase. For some reason I also stored there most, not all, of the photos used in the blog. I think it was a question of commitment, where was I going to stay the longest, WordPress or pBase. Or maybe WordPress didn’t have such good storage space as they have now, or perhaps it was because a lot of the photos were needed both in photo galleries and in a blog post? Could be that I was posting in both this blog and Polandian for some time so needed a central place for image storage? I can’t remember the reason now but what’s for sure is that they were in pBase and were linked to the blog. So, if I pick any random month from the past I have patchy coverage of images, some are there and some are boxes with question marks inside. If you look at the HTML code for the bad posts they are full of links to pBase:
< a href=”http: //www.pbase.com/ scatts/image /111642299/ original” >< img alt=”” src=”http: //www.pbase.com/ scatts/image/ 111642299/ medium.jpg” / >< /a >
This would be fine if I had left everything at pBase but after one crash too many, getting tired of the dated and clunky look and the lack of features I decided to move all my images to Zenfolio. I do miss the community at pBase, which is far better than Zenfolio, but that wasn’t really the main reason for being there. I didn’t want to keep both going as they both cost money and it would mean double the maintenance so pBase was closed down and all those links in the blog posts died.
Since then I’ve been staring at about 600 images all lumped together in a file called “old blog photos” and avoiding doing anything about it. To make it worse the photos cannot easily be organised and matched to posts. They don’t all have handy file names, some just have numbers. Organising by upload date doesn’t work because they were all uploaded to Zenfolio at the same time. Date taken doesn’t work because not all have exif data, especially if I’d borrowed it from the web somewhere so I’m faced with either trying to guess some text in the post by looking at the photos or by trying to guess, and then find, the missing photos by reading the post. When I do manage to match something I then have to download originals from Zenfolio to the Mac, then upload to WordPress, then delete the bad links and insert new media.
A bit of a pain but I’m working through it slowly.